I am sorry it has taken me this long to write about Monday’s court experience. Monday I was numb. Tuesday I was still processing. Today we have,in this case anyway,some better news.
We were under the impression that Monday was court. The CPS worker was under the impression Monday was court. The prosecutor was also under the same impression. The Court reporter and the Ad litem had March fourteenth as the date. We had court. We just had to wait for over an hour for the ad litem to show up. We also had a substitute CPS supervisor which turned out to be divine intervention.
The plan going into court was to continue with the state as temporary managing conservators. Youngest was set to be sent to a “therapeutic foster home or a group home with no or older children”.(We were also told he would be placed near by and were offered some ocean front property in Nevada.) We were assured the receiving family would be told the severity of his issues so they could remain safe. I did voice my confusion over how we as parents would be criminally liable for endangerment if youngest hurts someone in our home,but they the state would not.
The judge listened to the report of CPS’ plan to place him in a foster/group home and listened to his progress and then strangling a fellow student. He listened to the worker explain that my son had not really made any progress. He just made enough on paper to have his level lowered. He listened to my son’s attorney tell how my son had no connections to anyone and did not see his actions as wrong.She told him he was still voicing homicidal thoughts towards me. The judge then asked a very pertinent question.
Why is he leaving the facility when he is still a danger to others?. Why can’t the court order him to stay where he is?
This is where the substitute supervisor will forever have my gratitude. She told the judge that she thought the court could. She also assured the judge that while CPS had not yet done so,they would as of that day let Youth for Tomorrow know of the choking incident and have his case reevaluated in spite of protocol.
Today the court order was obtained. My son will stay where he is until June. It buys us some time. I can breath again. He is safe. Others are safe from him-at least until June.
The other thing that happened as we were leaving was realizing another couple waiting to have their case heard was the same people I talked to back in August before we began our journey with CPS. They looked like we felt. Hell.
I will call her tomorrow. There are other adoptive families in the same boat as us. All are being forced to relinquish their rights to their violent children. It is only a matter of time before we are also.


About lenell

Wife to a very patient man and mom to 8 interesting kids via birth,marriage and adoption. Grandma to nearly 5,nearly perfect grandchildren.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to court

  1. Jeanne says:

    Sounds like a good decision for now. Praying that God will continue to make his presence known.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s